Results for Development Institute (R4D) is a non-profit organization whose mission is to unlock solutions to tough development challenges that prevent people in low- and middle-income countries from realizing their full potential. Using multiple approaches in multiple sectors including, Global Education, Global Health, Governance and Market Dynamics, R4D supports the discovery and implementation of new ideas for reducing poverty and improving lives around the world.
R4D’s fresh approach to exploring new and innovative solutions, has resulted in real impact on the ground for those in most need in developing countries. By pairing research with action, R4D has helped improve the economic and social prospects of the world’s poor.”
-- Roberto Danino, R4D Board Member - Former Prime Minister of Peru
R4D came into being in late 2007. We created it at the urging of prominent voices from the developing and developed world – voices we had come to know well through our decades of working with public, private, and non-governmental organization leaders in African, Asian, Latin American, and eastern European countries, as well as the donors and development partners that seek to help governmental and non-governmental organizations who convinced us that an important gap needed to be filled. They pressed on us their concern that an important gap needed to be filled. Think tanks don’t go far enough, they argued, stopping too short of ensuring that their proposals will actually work on the ground when the practical realities of implementation have to be dealt with. Implementers, they said, jump in too late, without starting from basic questions. Further, the institutions that bridge that gap well tend to be few, large, and perceived to have weighty agendas of their own (for example, the development banks have their lending to do). What is greatly needed, we were told, is to have more groups working at the nexus between thinking and acting, with skill not just in developing promising, evidence-based ideas but also in the arduous art of applying them in practice in far flung places. Read more
Our values are reflected in the way that we do our work and in the outcomes and impact that we consistently work towards:
- Lasting Impact: Achieving lasting impact is critical in everything that we do. Even beyond the number of lives affected, we improve how communities and institutions work to unleash human potential.
- People: Our people are our most valuable asset and we believe no barrier should inhibit an individual from performing to his or her full potential.
- Integrity: We hold ourselves to the high standards, always approaching projects and relationships with integrity and respect
- Creative Thinking: We stress creativity and imagination in everything we do. No idea is too big, and no question should go un-asked. As circumstances change and new lessons are learned, there is always room to adapt.
- Entrepreneurship: By taking on challenging problems for which solutions are not always obvious, our team demonstrates a strong commitment to entrepreneurship.
- Tenacity: We pride ourselves in always sticking with a problem from the identification to solution phase.